The Adoption Process
1. Do Your Homework
2. Complete & Submit Application
3. Home Visit
4. Meet Potential Hounds
5. Submit Adoption Fee
Step 1: Do Your Homework
Owning any pet is a lifelong commitment, and we ask that you think over the following questions before continuing – not only for yourself, but all the members of your household. We also encourage you to read as much as you can about Greyhounds before adopting one. Adopting the Racing Greyhound by Cynthia Branigan is a greyt place to start!
• Are you financially prepared to invest in premium food, dental work, vaccinations, leashes/safety collars, routine and unexpected medical expenses as well as any other expense that ensures the continued well-being of your Greyhound?
• Are you prepared to keep a Greyhound for the life of the dog, which can be between 12-15 years of age?
• Are you prepared to supervise your Greyhound in the company of young children at ALL times?
• Are you prepared to have a dog that lives and sleeps inside your home?
• Are you prepared to provide extra supervision and patience while your Greyhound is adjusting to life in your home which can take up to 5 or 6 months?
• In the event of life changes, have you thought of how they will affect your Greyhound? (such as marriage, a new baby, moving, separation, military service, etc)
Step 2: Complete and Submit Application
We require that all potential adopters fill out an application. This application contains basic information about you and your household, and provides an initial profile of the situation the dog would be entering.
Download this application or stop by one of our local Meet & Greets to pick up an application. The completed application can be mailed or faxed to us. One of our adoption coordinators will contact you within a couple of days of receiving the application.
Step 3: Home Visit
During the home visit, we answer any questions you may have, give you more information about greyhounds in general and their transition from their role as an athlete to that of a pet. We are also looking at the circumstances and conditions that are necessary for us to complement with an appropriate dog to match those conditions. Things like other pets, children, activity level of the family, etc.
Step 4: Meet Potential Hounds
Once we get a good feel for the dynamics of your household, we begin the process of matching a dog to your situation. We will then begin making recommendations of dogs for you to meet. From there, the ball is in your court. You meet dogs until you find the one that you fall in love with. For many people, that's the first one they meet. The adoption time frame can vary depending on situation and circumstances. Turnaround time will be discussed at your pre-adoption visit.
Step 5: Submit Adoption Fee
Effective January 1, 2018, our adoption fee is $250.00 ($150.00 for senior dogs 8 years of age and over).
This includes a dog that has been spayed/neutered, their teeth have been cleaned, and they have current vaccinations. You receive a buckle collar, a martingale collar, a lead, and a name tag with the name you have chosen for your dog. We also include a CGA tag with a pager number. We have a pager that is monitored at all times in the unfortunate event that your dog gets lost and is found by someone who is unable to contact you from your name tag, they can call the pager and we can assist in reuniting dog and owner.
NOTE: If you are not contacted within 10 days after submitting your application, please follow up by phone (303) 816-2799 or email to email@example.com to verify your application was received.