Colorado Greyhound Adoption welcomes you to the world of Greyhounds!
There are many things to learn about this fantastic breed. Here is a basic outline of what you can expect throughout the adoption process:
Step 1: Do Your Homework
Owning any pet is a lifelong commitment, and we ask that you think over the following questions before continuing – not only for yourself, but all the members of your household. We also encourage you to read as much as you can about Greyhounds before adopting one. Adopting the Racing Greyhound by Cynthia Branigan is a greyt place to start!
• Are you financially prepared to invest in premium food, dental work, vaccinations, leashes/safety collars, routine and unexpected medical expenses as well as any other expense that ensures the continued well-being of your Greyhound?
• Are you prepared to keep a Greyhound for the life of the dog, which can be between 12-15 years of age?
• Are you prepared to supervise your Greyhound in the company of young children at ALL times?
• Are you prepared to have a dog that lives and sleeps inside your home?
• Are you prepared to provide extra supervision and patience while your Greyhound is adjusting to life in your home which can take up to 5 or 6 months?
• In the event of life changes, have you thought of how they will affect your Greyhound? (such as marriage, a new baby, moving, separation, military service, etc)
Step 2: Complete and Submit Application
We require that all potential adopters fill out an application. This application contains basic information about you and your household, and provides an initial profile of the situation the dog would be entering.
You can download an application here or stop by one of our local Meet & Greets. The completed application can be mailed or faxed into us. One of our adoption coordinators will contact you within a couple of days of receiving the application.
Step 3: Home Visit
During the home visit, we answer any questions you may have, give you more information about greyhounds in general and their transition from their role as an athlete to that of a pet. We are also looking at the circumstances and conditions that are necessary for us to complement with an appropriate dog to match those conditions. Things like other pets, children, activity level of the family, etc.
Step 4: Meet Potential Hounds
Once we get a good feel for the dynamics of your household, we begin the process of matching a dog to your situation. We will then begin making recommendations of dogs for you to meet. From there, the ball is in your court. You meet dogs until you find the one that you fall in love with. For many people, that's the first one they meet. The timing of all this varies depending upon many circumstances. During normal times, the turnaround time from start to finish, is within a couple of weeks.
Step 5: Submit Adoption Fee
Effective June 1, 2015, our adoption fee is $210.00 ($100.00 for senior dogs 8 years of age and over).
This includes a dog that has been spayed/neutered, their teeth have been cleaned, and they have current vaccinations. You receive a buckle collar, a martingale collar, a lead, and a name tag with the name you have chosen for your dog. We also include a CGA tag with a pager number. We have a pager that is monitored at all times in the unfortunate event that your dog gets lost and is found by someone who is unable to contact you from your name tag, they can call the pager and we can assist in reuniting dog and owner.
Colorado Greyhound Adoption is racing-neutral and receives no racetrack funding or support. We have a tremendous support network to provide answers to questions and assistance during and after the adoption process and we highly encourage you to utilize these resources. A question asked before adoption is much easier on all than a trying to solve a problem after adoption.
Colorado Greyhound Adoption accepts MasterCard and Visa for donations, adoptions, membership and merchandise sales. If you would like to make a donation using your credit card, visit our on-line store.